Often overlooked, this fundamental question need to be answered in order to pursue your goal to become a long-term successful poker player.
A poker players' decision with regards to where he/she is going to play poker is perhaps the key decision affecting the players' enjoyment in the game and his awesome/her bankroll. In general, a player has four possible venues to select from, they are:
1) play texas holdem with indians
2) Casinos/Local Poker Rooms
3) Home games with family & friends
4) Local Charity/Fund-raising tournaments
Each one of these four venues has their own personal unique 'pros and cons' that need considering. One venue could be suitable for Player 'A', yet not necessarily your best option for Player 'B'. The best venue is relative to your personality, bankroll, and capability.
Lets' look into all of the four venues more closely, and discuss the characteristics of the. I will be speaking in broad generalities which might be consistent wherever your geographical area, but you should realize geography plays an important role in venue selection. Gambling laws vary from one locale to another, so please investigate the laws in the area and play within those laws. Using that caveat in place, lets' examine online poker first.
Without a doubt, online pokers' popularity has exploded these days; so much so, the Federal government has placed limits for the ability of US players to move money both to and from the poker sites. These restraints pose an authentic problem for poker players, and a few player associations are attempting to fight these restrictions. The future of online poker laws is uncertain at this time. The full discussion with the legalities of online poker is beyond the scope of this article, however i encourage all poker players to do their research prior to jump into online play.
Pros of Internet Poker:
- The nice thing about playing poker on the web is the opportunity to play coming from the comfort of your personal home every time you wish. Sites for example Poker Stars, Full-Tilt, Ultimate Bet, etc. will literally have tens of thousands of eager players online round the clock, seven days weekly. When ready to play, you will get not a problem finding an available game.
- Online play allows the user to try out numerous types of games. If you would like to have a break from Texas Hold'em and get the urge to relax and play Omaha, Stud, Razz, Horse, or any type of other game imaginable, the online sites will accommodate you.
- Another benefit to playing online is that you can play any stakes you are at ease with. For anyone who is conservative, or only starting out, you could play for less than a couple of pennies a hand. If you are searching for the adrenaline rush, you may play for just as much as several 1000s of dollars. The sites will offer a wide selection stakes in between these extremes also.
- Finally, since the websites on the internet maintain the games moving quickly, it is possible to boost your game by playing an increased level of hands in a very relatively short period of time. More skillful players may play multiple games at the same time. These players are seeing an extraordinary amount of hands each hour.
Cons of Internet Poker:
- Online poker can easily become addictive. Internet poker addiction could have severe negative consequences for that players' physical, emotional, professional, and financial well-being. An addicted player will most likely start staying up all night long playing while ignoring his requirement for sleep. This could lead to emotional problems and ultimately create a strain on the players' home and professional life. A player should be vigilant to remember poker is not as important as family, friends, or perhaps your career away from poker.